Previously owned and friendly, stray cats have been lost or were abandoned and need your help. They are without food or shelter, and will approach humans for food and attention. Please considered an abandoned stray an emergency and learn how to get help for stray cats.
Stray cats have been previously owned but have been abandoned or lost. If you see a wandering cat in your neighborhood and you do not know the owner, do not ignore the situation. We are not an emergency rescue, but can assist you in finding a safe haven for the cat if it is not owned.
We receive endless calls about cats that have been abandoned for various reasons. Without your help, the cats may suffer and be at risk. We ask that you contact your local animal control and local shelters to see if there are any lost cat reports on a cat matching it's description. Contact CRA and we will return your call within 24 hours to walk you through everything you can do to help. In the meantime here are some steps you can take:
- If the cat is severely injured or ill, you can take it to the nearest animal hospital
- Contact your local animal control and animal shelters for reports of missing cats
- DO NOT POST the cat on Craigslist, but you can search through the lost cat reports on Craigslist. If you think you have found the owner, make sure to have the owner send you a picture of the cat.
- If it is safe to take bring the cat inside, confine him/her to a bathroom for the night with water, food and a litter box. Keep the cat separated from your resident cats and children.
- Consider if you are able to foster the cat, or contact friends and neighbors to see if they are able and willing.
- We will assist you in finding placement for the cat's adoption.